U5.20 Tertiary institutions (Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges of Education, Wananga)
- Tertiary institutions may offer programmes of study or training scheme places to international students provided the programme of study or training scheme meets the criteria for one in which a international student may be enrolled in accordance with the provisions of the Education and Training Act 2020 (see section 525).
- The definition of an international student is contained in section 10(1) of the Education and Training Act 2020.
- The primary requirements for section 525 of the Education and Training Act 2020 in respect of programmes of study or training schemes that are or are likely to be longer than 3 months are that:
- the programme or training scheme is an approved programme or training scheme, and
- the institution is accredited to provide the programme or training scheme, and
- the effect of the enrolment is not to deprive a domestic or exempt student of a place at the institution or on the programme of study or training scheme unless:
- the student is holding a New Zealand scholarship administered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade; or
- the place has been established by the Council of the institution for a foreign student and its continued availability is dependent on the fees payable by the foreign student enrolled in it.
~ Polytechnics also include institutes of technology, technical institutes or community colleges established before 1 January 1991.
~ These requirements apply to all programmes of study and training schemes with the exception of those programmes of study or training schemes that are exempt as provided for in section 528 of the Education and Training Act 2020.