U11.1 New Zealand Aid Programme (NZAP)-supported students undertaking employment (04/04/2011)
See also Immigration Act 2009 ss 52, 56
- New Zealand Aid Programme (NZAP)-supported students may be granted conditions on their student visa to allow them to work during the academic year for up to 20 hours per week, during any holidays within the academic year for up to 20 hours per week, and full-time during the Christmas-New Year holiday period.
- NZAP scholars may be granted work visas at the completion of their studies for qualification-related work experience for the minimum time needed to complete practical work requirements.
Note: NZAP-supported senior medical and pharmacy students may be granted work visa for their internship/registration year.
- NZAP-supported students are not permitted to:
- work in self-employment; or
- provide commercial sexual services; or
- act as an operator of a New Zealand business of prostitution; or
- invest in a business of prostitution (see E7.40).
- Any NZAP-supported student, or their partner or dependent children may only be granted a visa for New Zealand in the two-year period following completion of the NZAP student's scholarship, with written approval from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (with the exception of a work visa to complete course requirements or, if the applicant is outside New Zealand, a short-term visitor visa).
Note: See WF4.5 for work instructions for partners of holders of student visas who are NZAP-supported.