U11.1 New Zealand Agency for International Development- (NZAID-) supported students undertaking employment (29/11/2010)
See also Immigration Act 2009 ss 52, 56
- NZAID-supported students may be granted a variation of conditions to their student visa to allow them to work during the academic year, and during any holidays within the academic year for up to 20 hours in any given week, if NZAID and the relevant education provider both support the application in writing and the work is:
- a compulsory requirement to fulfil practical experience for their course of study; or
- related to their postgraduate course of study.
- NZAID-supported students may be granted a variation of conditions to their student visa to allow them to work during the Christmas-New Year holiday period if it is a course requirement and NZAID supports the application in writing.
- NZAID-supported students on Aotearoa Scholarships may be granted a variation of conditions to their student visa to allow them to work for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year, and during any holidays within the academic year and full-time during the Christmas-New Year holiday period.
- NZAID scholars may be granted work visas at the completion of their studies for qualification-related work experience for the minimum time needed to complete practical work requirements.
Note: NZAID-supported senior medical and pharmacy students may be granted work visa for their internship/registration year.
- NZAID-supported students are not permitted to:
- work in self-employment; or
- provide commercial sexual services; or
- act as an operator of a New Zealand business of prostitution; or
- invest in a business of prostitution (see E7.40).
- Any NZAID-supported student, or their partner or dependent children may only be granted a visa for New Zealand in the 2 year period following completion of the NZAID student's scholarship, with written approval from NZAID (with the exception of a work visa to complete course requirements or a short-term visitor visa).
Note: See WF4.5 for work instructions for partners of holders of student visas who are NZAID-supported.