V2.20 Funds or sponsorship requirements
See also Immigration Act 2009 s 48
Applicants for a visitor visa must have either:
- funds that will be genuinely available to the applicant for the duration of their visa to New Zealand of at least NZ$1000 per month for maintenance and accommodation, or NZ$400 per month if the accommodation has been prepaid; or
- sponsorship by a person, an organisation or a Government agency which meets generic sponsorship requirements set out at E6.5.
V2.20.1 Evidence of funds or sponsorship
- Evidence of sufficient funds includes, but is not limited to the following:
- travellers' cheques
- bank drafts
- recognised credit or debit cards with sufficient credit available
- (for group visas) certification from a reputable travel agency
- a bank statement showing funds in an account the applicant will have access to in New Zealand
- a letter of financial support from the applicant’s employer or home government, if the applicant is travelling on business
- Sponsored applicants or their sponsors must provide the relevant sponsor or supporting partners form.
- Evidence of funds or sponsorship is not required if the applicant is applying on the basis being the partner or dependent child of:
- a work visa holder whose income is sufficient (V2.20(a)) to provide maintenance and accommodation to the applicant; or
- a student visa holder where the student holds a scholarship that guarantees maintenance and accommodation to the family of the student.
V2.20.5 Sufficient funds for maternity related services
In addition to V2.20 pregnant applicants for a visitor visa who are due to give birth while in New Zealand must provide evidence that they:
- have funds of at least NZ$9,000 available to pay for maternity related services; or
- have sponsorship by a person, an organisation or a Government agency which meets generic sponsorship requirements set out at E6.5, to cover maternity related services; or
- are eligible for publicly-funded maternity related services.