A17.1 Persons born in New Zealand on or after 1 January 2006
See also Immigration Act 2009 s 374
- A person who is:
- born in New Zealand on or after 1 January 2006; and
- is determined by the Department of Internal Affairs not to be a New Zealand citizen,
- is deemed to have the most favourable immigration status of either of the person’s parents at the time that he or she was born, as determined under the Immigration Act 2009.
- The person’s immigration status continues until either;
- the person leaves New Zealand; or
- the person is accorded a different immigration status under, or by the operation of, the Immigration Act 2009.