Share via Email
Share via Twitter
Share via Facebook
Share via LinkedIn

Evidence of funds to support your study

You must provide evidence to show you have enough money to support yourself while you study in NZ. Find out what you can provide to support to your application.

Evidence and information about your funds

When we assess your visa application, we must:

Verifying evidence of your funds

Your funds must be in your name, or the name of your financial guarantor or sponsor. 

If we cannot properly verify the source of your funds, we cannot accept them as evidence that you have enough money to support yourself while you are in New Zealand.

We find it difficult to verify some evidence of funds including:

Using a financial guarantor

You can use a financial guarantor but we can only accept them if:


Before you submit your application, check that the identity information about your financial guarantor or sponsor is the same in all the documents you provide. Your application may be delayed or declined if it is not.

Evidence you can provide

To support your application, you can provide a range of financial information.

Banking information

You can provide:

If the bank account you are using as evidence has been opened recently or the statements show any large deposits, you must explain where this money has come from and provide evidence to support this. For example, provide evidence to show that you sold an asset and used the money to open the account, or have transferred money from one bank account to the other.

Information about assets or loans

You can provide:

We do not accept funds sourced from property sales, gold loans or KCC loans unless:

Loan sanction letters

We only accept education loans from nationalised or multi-national banks that are secured against fixed assets that belong to you or your financial guarantor.

If you provide a loan sanction letter it must mention: 

You also need to provide evidence of how you will repay the loan.

Provident fund accounts

We only accept public or employee provident fund accounts if they are supported by documents confirming your employment such as an Income Tax Return, Form 16, salary statements or a employer reference letter from your employer.

Information about your income

You can provide:

We do not accept funds sourced from agricultural income unless:

If you are studying for more than 12 months

If you plan to study in New Zealand for more than a year provide: