These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing an arrival card, which you are given on the way to New Zealand.

Arriving in New Zealand

You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you don’t meet our character requirements
  • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
  • you refuse to let us to take your photo, or provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if we ask you for them.


After your visa is granted, you have 3 months to arrive in New Zealand.

After your arrival, you can travel in and out of New Zealand for 30 months.


You can study for up to 3 months in any 12-month period.

Supporting organisation

You must have the support of a New Zealand organisation of national repute in your field of talent.


You must have an acceptable sponsor.

Acceptable sponsors


You can work in any occupation for any employer in New Zealand.

Keep your visa in a valid passport

If you want to travel, your visa must be in a valid passport.

If your passport expires, you must apply to transfer your visa to a new passport before you can travel.

Transferring my visa to a new passport

To transfer your visa, you must:

  • send us your old and new passports
  • complete an ‘Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa’
  • pay a transfer fee.


Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa (INZ 1023)

Fees, decision times and where to apply