These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing an arrival card, which you are given on the way to New Zealand.

Arriving in New Zealand

You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you don’t meet our character requirements
  • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
  • you refuse to let us to take your photo, or provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if we ask you for them.


After your visa is granted, you have 3 months to arrive in New Zealand, if you are not already here.

After your arrival, you can travel in and out of New Zealand for up to up to 30 months.


You have to work in the specific occupation and for the specific employer detailed in the job offer that was the basis of your work visa application.

If you want to change employer after you're granted a work visa, you can apply for a variation of conditions.

For us to approve your variation of conditions, your employer would need to pay you at least as much as the salary threshold that was in place when you applied for the work visa - either NZD $55,000, or $79,560 a year (before tax).

Application for a Variation of Conditions or a Variation of Travel Conditions (INZ 1020)


You can study for up to 3 months in any 12-month period.

Keep your visa in a valid passport

If you want to travel, your visa must be in a valid passport.

If your passport expires, you must apply to transfer your visa to a new passport before you can travel.

Transferring my visa to a new passport

To transfer your visa, you must:

  • send us your old and new passports
  • complete an ‘Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa’
  • pay a transfer fee.


Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa (INZ 1023)

Fees, decision times and where to apply