These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing an arrival card, which you are given on the way to New Zealand.

Arriving in New Zealand

You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you do not meet our character requirements
  • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
  • you refuse to let us take your photo or to provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if asked for them
  • you are unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of your visa.

If you are refused entry to New Zealand

Before you travel to New Zealand


Your travel conditions will be granted for the time period your travel conditions would have been valid for, if you'd applied for them at the time your previous Resident Visa expired.

If you were eligible for a Permanent Resident Visa when your Resident Visa expired, your travel conditions will be valid for 24 months from the date your visa expired.

If you're granted a Second or Subsequent Resident Visa as the partner of a New Zealand citizen, your travel conditions will be valid for 24 months.

Section 49 conditions

If you had any section 49 conditions on your previous Resident Visa, they'll apply to your Second or Subsequent Resident Visa too.

If you've already met your section 49 conditions, you should provide evidence that you've done so when you apply for a Second or Subsequent Resident Visa.

Keep your visa in a valid passport

If you want to travel, your visa must be in a valid passport.

If your passport expires, you must apply to transfer your visa to a new passport before you can travel.

Transferring my visa to a new passport

To transfer your visa, you must:

  • send us your old and new passports
  • complete an ‘Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa’
  • pay a transfer fee.

You should check if you are now eligible to apply for a permanent resident visa (instead of transferring the visa) so you can remain a New Zealand resident when you leave New Zealand.

Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa (INZ 1023)

Office and fees finder


You can work in New Zealand.


You can study in New Zealand.