These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing an arrival card, which you are given on the way to New Zealand.

Arriving in New Zealand

You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you don’t meet our character requirements
  • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
  • you refuse to let us to take your photo, or provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if we ask you for them.

Travel (resident visa)

If you applied for your visa while overseas, you have 12 months to travel to New Zealand from the date your visa is approved.

Once in New Zealand, or if you applied for your visa while in New Zealand, you can travel in and out of New Zealand as often as you like until your travel Conditions expire.

To travel after that, you’ll need to apply for and be granted either:

  • a Permanent Resident Visa
  • a variation of your travel conditions, which would allow you to return to New Zealand at a later date.

Your travel conditions will expire 2 years from the date you first arrive in New Zealand as a resident.

If you’re outside of New Zealand when your travel conditions expire, your visa will expire as well.

Travel (permanent resident holders)

You can travel in and out of New Zealand indefinitely, as long as you keep your visa in a valid passport.

Keep your visa in a valid passport

If you want to travel, your visa must be in a valid passport.

If your passport expires, you must apply to transfer your visa to a new passport before you can travel.

Transferring my visa to a new passport

To transfer your visa, you must:

  • send us your old and new passports
  • complete an ‘Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa’
  • pay a transfer fee.


Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa (INZ 1023)

Fees, decision times and where to apply


You can work in any occupation for any employer in New Zealand.


You can study in New Zealand.