These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing an arrival card, which you are given on the way to New Zealand.

Arriving in New Zealand

You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you don’t meet our character requirements
  • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
  • you refuse to let us to take your photo, or provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if we ask you for them.

Invest in New Zealand

You must keep at least NZ $1 million invested in an acceptable investment in New Zealand for 4 years.

We ask for evidence you have kept your funds invested at the end of the second and fourth years you are in New Zealand.

You will have 3 months to provide the evidence.

It is OK to transfer funds between acceptable investments.

If you already have funds in an acceptable investment in New Zealand when you apply for residence, we can start your investment period from the time we approve your application in principle.

Acceptable investments: parent and temporary retirement visas

Managing your acceptable investments

Contact details

You must let us know if your address or other contact details change during the 4-year investment period.

We’ll need to keep in touch with you to check you’re meeting the conditions of your visa.

If we’re unable to confirm that you’re meeting the conditions, you may not be able to stay in New Zealand.


You can work in New Zealand.


You can study in New Zealand.


You can travel in and out of New Zealand for the first 2 years of your 4-year investment period.

If we confirm that you’re meeting all of the conditions that apply to the first 2 years of your investment period, you can apply for a variation of conditions to allow you to travel for the last 2 years.

If you’re not meeting the conditions of your visa, you may have to leave New Zealand.

If you’ve met all the conditions of your visa at the end of the 4-year investment period, you may be granted a permanent resident visa.

A permanent resident visa allows travel in and out New Zealand free from conditions.

Keep your visa in a valid passport

If you want to travel, your visa must be in a valid passport.

If your passport expires, you must apply to transfer your visa to a new passport before you can travel.

Transferring my visa to a new passport

To transfer your visa, you must:

  • send us your old and new passports
  • complete an ‘Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa’
  • pay a transfer fee.


Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa (INZ 1023)

Fees, decision times and where to apply