These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

Your child must apply for entry permission when they arrive in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which they’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.

The children can be refused entry permission if:

  • you or they don’t meet our character requirements
  • your or their circumstances have changed since you or they were granted a visa
  • you or they refuse to let us take their photo or provide us with their fingerprints or an iris scan, if asked for them
  • you or they are unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of their visas.


If your children have multiple entry visas they can travel to and from New Zealand as many times as they like before their visas expire.

If they have single entry visas their visas will expire when they leave New Zealand.

Check your child’s visa label or their evisa letter for their travel conditions.

If your children do not have multiple entry visas you can apply to have the conditions of their visas varied to allow them to travel.

Onward travel

You must have tickets for each of the children to leave New Zealand or enough money to buy each child a ticket.

You or your children may be asked for evidence of their travel arrangements when they check in or arrive in New Zealand.

Funds or sponsorship

You must have enough money to support the children while they’re in New Zealand, or the children must have a sponsor. 

Acceptable sponsors

You may be asked for evidence your children have financial support or sponsorship when they arrive in New Zealand.


School-aged children can study for up to 3 months in any calendar year.

Older children can study at tertiary institutes for up to 3 months in any 12-month period.

Your children will need student visas if they want to study for more than 3 months.

If your children will be studying for more than 2 weeks, their school must be a signatory to the ‘Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students’.

Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students


Your children cannot work in New Zealand.

Visa expiry

The children must leave New Zealand before their visas expire.

Visa expiry dates are printed on a visa label or included in a visa letter.