These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

Your child must apply for entry permission when they arrive in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which they’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.

The children can be refused entry permission if:

  • they don’t meet our character requirements
  • their circumstances have changed since they were granted a visa
  • they refuse to let us take a photo or provide us with their fingerprints or an iris scan, if asked for them.

Travelling to and arriving in New Zealand


If the children want to travel in and out of New Zealand, they must have valid multiple entry travel conditions to return to New Zealand.

If you want multiple entry travel conditions for the children, you must apply for them. To be eligible, the children must not have been in New Zealand for more than 9 months in the last 18 months.

If the children are outside New Zealand when their travel conditions expire, their visa will expire as well.


School-aged children can study for up to 3 months in any calendar year.

Older children can study at tertiary institutes for up to 3 months in any 12-month period.

Your children will need student visas if they want to study for more than 3 months.

If your children will be studying for more than 2 weeks, their school must be a signatory to the ‘Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students’.

Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students


Your children cannot work in New Zealand.

Visa expiry

The children must leave New Zealand before their visas expire.

Visa expiry dates are printed on a visa label or included in a visa letter.