These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

Your child must apply for entry permission when they arrive in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which they’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.

The children can be refused entry permission if:

  • they don’t meet our character requirements
  • their circumstances have changed since they were granted a visa
  • they refuse to let us take a photo or provide us with their fingerprints or an iris scan, if asked for them.

Travelling to and arriving in New Zealand


If the children want to travel in and out of New Zealand, they must have valid multiple entry travel conditions to return to New Zealand.

If you want multiple entry travel conditions for the children, you must apply for them. To be eligible, the children must not have been in New Zealand for more than 9 months in the last 18 months.

If the children are outside New Zealand when their travel conditions expire, their visa will expire as well.

Funds or sponsorship

Unless we’ve waived this requirement, the children must have enough money held in New Zealand or be supported for the length of their visa.

If they’re sponsored, their sponsor must:

  • meet the children’s need for maintenance, while the children are in New Zealand
  • pay any costs if we ask you the children to leave New Zealand.

Onward travel

Unless we’ve waived this requirement, during the length of their visa, the children must have a travel ticket or funds to travel to a country they can enter. The funds can be in the form of any of the following:

  • sufficient funds held in New Zealand to purchase a travel ticket
  • current sponsorship.


The child may study for up to 3 months in any 12-month period.

School-aged children can study for up to 3 months in any calendar year. Children studying for more than 2 weeks must attend a school that is signatory to the ‘Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students’.

Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students


The child cannot work in New Zealand on a visitor visa.

Visa expiry

The children must leave New Zealand before their visas expire.

Your children may be granted further visas to allow them to stay in New Zealand while the Department of Internal Affairs assesses their citizenship applications. 

Further visas are granted for a maximum of 12 months at a time.