These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing an arrival card, which you are given on the way to New Zealand.

Arriving in New Zealand

You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you don’t meet our character requirements
  • you refuse to let us to take your photo or to provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if asked for them.
  • You provide  false or misleading information in a visa application, to an immigration officer or on any part of your arrival card

If you are refused entry to New Zealand


You can travel to and from New Zealand as often as you wish, but each time you leave New Zealand your Resident Visa will expire.

You can apply for a resident visa each time you arrive in New Zealand, but your New Zealand residence won’t be considered continuous.

This can be important if you later want to:

  • apply for a Permanent Resident Visa 
  • apply for New Zealand Citizenship
  • sponsor a resident visa application for a parent who is not an Australian permanent resident or citizen.

If you want your New Zealand residence to be considered continuous, you can apply for a variation of travel conditions before you leave New Zealand. This will allow you to travel to and from New Zealand without affecting your New Zealand residence status.

Application from a Resident or Former Resident Visa Holder for a permanent resident visa, second or subsequent resident visa, or a variation of travel conditions (INZ 1175)


You can work in any occupation for any employer in New Zealand.


You can study in New Zealand.