Share via Email
Share via Twitter
Share via Facebook
Share via LinkedIn

Transferring investment funds

If you are transferring your investment funds directly to New Zealand you need to do so in a legal and transparent way.

What you need to do to transfer investment funds

If we approve your application for an Investor 1 or 2 Resident Visa, a Parent Retirement Resident Visa, or a Temporary Retirement Visitor Visa, you have 12 months from that date to transfer and invest your funds in New Zealand.

The funds you transfer must be:

If the funds or assets you named in your application are worth more than the minimum you must invest in New Zealand, you do not need to sell all the funds and assets you nominated.

Funds already invested in New Zealand

You can use funds already invested in New Zealand to support your visa application. You must nominate them when you apply for your visa.

You must provide evidence of where the funds came from and how they were transferred and invested in New Zealand.

How to transfer your funds

You must use the banking system to transfer your investment funds directly to a New Zealand bank account in your name.

Transfers must be from your personal bank account. They cannot be from your company’s bank account.

You need to provide evidence that you made the transfer. This could include:

We can only grant your visa after we receive this evidence. You must send original or certified copies of documents. We do not consider electronic documents to be originals.

Moving funds before you transfer them to New Zealand

If you move your funds from 1 type of asset to another or use funds in a business before you transfer them to New Zealand you must:

It may take us longer to assess your application if you have moved your funds before you transfer them to New Zealand.

Transferring the sale proceeds

If we have approved your application and you sold your nominated investment assets, any sale proceeds must be transferred from your offshore bank account to New Zealand. You cannot receive sale proceeds from the buyer directly to your bank account in New Zealand.

Foreign exchange companies

You can use a foreign exchange company to transfer your funds to New Zealand if the:

You must provide evidence of all the steps you took to transfer your funds. We cannot accept your application if we cannot identify your funds’ physical transfer any at point.

Currency restrictions

Some countries limit the amount of money that can be exchanged and transferred. If your nominated funds are subject to currency restrictions, you need to ensure that any exchange or transfer is consistent with:

Transferring funds from China

If you want to transfer investment funds from China, you must use an organisation that is recognised by the Chinese Government as providing Qualified Domestic Institutional Investor (QDII) products. For example these organisations are widely used:

There are many other schemes and providers of QDII products. We cannot approve your QDII provider until we have assessed your application. Our approval depends on the transfer and investment documents that you supply.

Exchanging Chinese RMB for transfer

Chinese banks can limit the amount of RMB you can exchange each year.

If you need to extend your exchange quota, the Chinese Government currently allow you to use up to 4 linear family members’ quotas — linear family members are your partner, children and the principle applicant’s parents.

If your bank allows you to exchange RMB using linear family members’ quotas, you must make sure:

You cannot withdraw the funds, deposit them in another person’s account and then have them transferred back. This is because you would not have owned the funds while they were in that person’s account.

Transferring funds via other countries

If you need to transfer your funds via other countries, you must check if you will be affected by currency exchange restrictions.

Topping up investment funds

If you have been approved in principle and the funds or assets you nominated in your application have lost value, you may be able to nominate additional funds. You can only do this if your nominated funds have lost value in New Zealand dollar terms as a result of unforeseen circumstances.

Any new funds must meet the same requirements as the funds you first nominated for investment. You must show that:

The timeframe for transferring and investing your funds will not change if you need to introduce new funds.

Additional funds cannot replace all of the funds you nominated in your application. You need to submit a new application if you want to invest completely new funds. If you are applying for an Investor 2 Resident Visa, this means you must also submit a new expression of interest.

If you borrow funds

If you are applying for an Investor 1 Resident Visa, you may be able to transfer and invest funds you have borrowed if:

You cannot borrow investment funds if you are applying for any other kind of visa, including Investor 2 Resident Visa.

Taking more than 12 months to transfer funds

If you think it will take longer than 12 months to transfer your funds, you need to apply for an extension.

You cannot apply for an extension if you applied under the Parent Retirement Category.

You must provide evidence that you have tried to transfer the approved nominated funds to New Zealand. This can include:

We will decline your application if you cannot provide evidence for an extension or transfer your funds within 12 months of us approving your application.