Meeting the criteria

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements.

Show all evidence Hide all evidence


You must provide proof of your identity

You must provide proof of your identity:

Acceptable photos

You may provide your original passport, or a certified copy when you submit your application. If you provide a certified copy we may request your original passport to complete your application.

Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after you plan to leave New Zealand.


You must be in good health

You don’t need to provide any evidence of your good health, unless we ask you to.


You must be of good character

You may need to provide police certificates as proof of your good character.

If you are aged 17 or older and plan to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months (including any time you have already spent in New Zealand), you must provide police certificates from:

  • any country you are a citizen of
  • any country you have spent more than 5 years in since you turned 17.

You do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you have provided them to us with an earlier visa application, and
  • they were issued in the previous 24 months.

Good character

How to get a police certificate


You must be already in New Zealand

We will use our records to check you are still here.

Working Holiday Visa

You must have a current Working Holiday Visa

We’ll check our records for evidence you have a current Working Holiday Visa.

Seasonal work

You must have already done seasonal work in New Zealand

You must have spent at least 3 months doing seasonal work in the horticulture or viticulture industries while on your current Working Holiday Visa. Evidence can include:

  • letters from employers
  • pay slips
  • tax records.

Seasonal work can include planting, maintaining, harvesting or packing crops.

Onward travel

You must have a ticket to leave New Zealand or enough money to buy one

Evidence can include:

  • your travel ticket
  • proof you have enough money to buy a ticket out of New Zealand, in addition to the funds you have to live on.

No previous extensions

You must not have been granted a Working Holidaymaker Extension Work Visa before

We’ll check our records to make sure we haven’t already granted you a Working Holidaymaker Extension Work Visa.


Not the right visa for you?

Explore your other work visa options, see all work visas or explore another visa type.