Meeting the criteria

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements.

Show all evidence Hide all evidence


You must provide proof of your identity

You must provide proof of your identity:

Acceptable photos

You may provide your original passport, or a certified copy when you submit your application. If you provide a certified copy we may request your original passport to complete your application.

Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after you plan to leave New Zealand.

Country of citizenship

Normally this visa is only granted to people from some Pacific nations

Employers can usually only employ workers who are from eligible Pacific nations.

In exceptional circumstances employers can recruit workers from other nations but they must get our agreement first.


You must be of good character

You may need to provide police certificates as proof of your good character.

If you are aged 17 or older and plan to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months (including any time you have already spent in New Zealand), you must provide police certificates from:

  • any country you are a citizen of
  • any country you have spent more than 5 years in since you turned 17.

You do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you have provided them to us with an earlier visa application, and
  • they were issued in the previous 24 months.

Good character

How to get a police certificate

If you need to provide a Police Certificate, we’ll let you know.

Genuine intentions

You must genuinely intend to meet the conditions of your visa

When we decide if your intentions are genuine (bona fide), we consider all the information:

  • you provide to support your application
  • we have about your personal circumstances, and
  • you provided in any previous applications.

Genuine intentions to visit, study or work in NZ

Medical insurance

You must have acceptable medical insurance for the length of your New Zealand stay

You must provide proof you're insured, for example:

  • a copy of your insurance certificate
  • an approval letter from your insurance company.

For your medical insurance to be acceptable, your medical insurance and the company providing it need to meet certain requirements. You can read about these in our ‘Guide to Working for a Recognised Seasonal Employer’.

Guide to Working for a Recognised Seasonal Employer (INZ 1144) PDF 545KB

New Zealand job offer

You must have a job offer

You must have an offer of work from a Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE).

If you’ll be working for a single RSE you must provide a copy of your signed employment agreement.

If you’ll be working for more than one RSE, you must provide copies of each one of your employment agreements.

You must be paid at least $22.10 per hour, for a minimum of 30 hours per week.

Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE) List
Employment agreements and rights

Your employment agreement may include:

  • voluntary deductions
  • training with an industry training organisation.


Not the right visa for you?

Explore your other work visa options, see all work visas or explore another visa type.