Meeting the criteria

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements.

Show all evidence Hide all evidence


You must provide proof of your identity

You must provide proof of your identity:

Acceptable photos

You may provide your original passport, or a certified copy when you submit your application. If you provide a certified copy we may request your original passport to complete your application.

Resident visa status

You must hold a valid resident visa or have held one in the last 3 months

You must have held your resident visa and been living in New Zealand continuously for at least 24 months at the time you apply for a permanent resident visa.

You must provide either:

  • your resident visa
  • your residence permit.

If your resident visa expired more than 3 months ago, you won’t be eligible for a permanent resident visa but you may be able to apply for another resident visa.

Resident visa conditions

You must have met any conditions of your current resident visa

You must provide evidence you have met any conditions of your current resident visa.

Visa conditions are different for resident visas granted under different categories and may include things like:

  • travelling to and from New Zealand only for the time allowed by your resident visa
  • spending a minimum number of days in New Zealand
  • keeping money invested in New Zealand
  • working only in a particular job and/or for a particular employer.

Check your visa label for your visa conditions.

Commitment to New Zealand

You must be committed to living in New Zealand permanently

The evidence you must provide depends on how you choose to show your commitment to New Zealand.

Commitment to New Zealand

If you've spent at least 184 days of each of the last 2 years in New Zealand, you will meet this requirement. If you have spent this time here, you don't need to provide any we'll check your travel records.


Not the right visa for you?

Explore other residence visa options, see all residence visas or explore another visa type.