Meeting the criteria

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements.

Show all evidence Hide all evidence


You must provide proof of your identity

  • 1 acceptable photo if you apply online, or 2 photos if you use a paper application form.
  • your passport or certificate of identity.

Acceptable photos

If you submit a paper application, provide your original passport or a certified copy.  We can usually process your application faster if you provide your original passport.

If you apply online, you must upload a copy of your passport when you apply. We will let you know if you need to send your passport after you've applied.

Sending your passport for online applications


You must be in good health

You may need to have a chest x-ray, a medical examination or both as proof of your good health.

Who needs an x-ray or medical examination

Full fee paying students don’t usually need to provide a medical certificate.

You will need to get a chest X-ray if you’re from, or have spent time in a country where Tuberculosis (TB) is common



You must be of good character

You may need to provide police certificates as proof of your good character.

If you are aged 17 and over, and will stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months (this includes any time you have already spent in New Zealand), you must provide police certificates from:

  • your country(s) of citizenship
  • any country(s) you've spent more than 5 years in since turning 17.

You do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you have provided them to us with an earlier visa application, and they were issued in the previous 36 months, or
  • you are under 20 years of age and have held a student visa (or consecutive student visas) on and since the date you turned 17 and are applying for a further student visa.

Good character

Police certificates

Study pathways

You must be offered a valid study pathway from Pathway education provider(s)

You must provide a letter of support from your Pathway education provider, or joint letter if your study pathway is with more than one provider, that:

  • sets out the courses that will make up your study pathway
  • sets out the start and end dates for each course.

Pathway education providers

Offer of place

You must have an offer of place from an approved education provider

Your Pathway Student Visa offer must include:

  • the name of your course and how long the course is for
  • whether your study will be full-time, part-time or as a distance learning or correspondence student
  • if your course is for more than one academic year, the dates of all of the course’s scheduled holidays
  • if you’re under 18, confirmation that your accommodation complies with the ‘Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students’.

Offers of place must also include your approved education provider’s signed declaration that they’ve assessed and are satisfied that:

  • the programme offered is appropriate for your expectations
  • you have the English language ability and academic capability to succeed

Pathway education providers

Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016

If your study pathway is with more than one Pathway education provider, you’ll need to provide a separate offer of place from each education provider.

It’s OK if you provide information about your scheduled holidays in a separate document.

Tuition fees

Unless you’re exempt, you must have enough money to pay your tuition fees

You must provide evidence that:

  • you have paid the tuition fees for your first course of study or your first year of study (whichever is shorter)
  • you can pay for the rest of your study pathway.

Evidence can include any one of the following:

  • evidence of savings you can use to pay for your tuition fees
  • a letter from your Pathway education provider showing fees are paid or that you don’t have to pay fees
  • evidence that your home country government loan has been applied for, and confirmation from the education provider they expect to receive the fees
  • confirmation from your education provider that your tuition fees will be paid by New Zealand Aid
  • evidence you’ve applied for a home country government loan and confirmation that you’re enrolling in a bachelor degree programme or higher at a Private Training Establishment (PTE)
  • evidence that you’re exempt from paying tuition fees.

Pathway education providers

If you apply for your visa outside of New Zealand, you don’t have to show us you’ve paid your tuition fees until after your application is approved in principle.


Evidence of how you’ll pay for subsequent years of study can include, for example, savings or family income you can access while in New Zealand.


You must have enough money to live on while you’re in New Zealand

Evidence can include:

  • proof that you have NZ $15,000 for your first year of study or NZ $1,250 per month if your study will be shorter than that
  • proof that you’ll have enough money to live on for the remaining time on your study pathway
  • documents that show your living costs have already been paid
  • a ‘Sponsorship for Temporary Entry’  form completed by an acceptable sponsor
  • a ‘Financial Undertaking for a Student’ form completed by an acceptable guarantor.

Acceptable sponsors
Sponsorship for Temporary Entry (INZ 1025) PDF 283KB

If you are applying in South Asia, you need to provide acceptable evidence you can comfortably afford to study in New Zealand.

Evidence of funds to support your study

If you’re applying in South Asia, only immediate family are able to sponsor you or provide a financial undertaking. Immediate family are your partner, parents, siblings, grandparents and parents-in-law.

Depending on what city you live in while you are in New Zealand, you might need more than NZD $15,000 per year (NZD $1250 per month) to live on while you are studying.

What things cost in New Zealand | NauMai NZ

Onward travel

You must have a ticket to leave New Zealand or be sponsored for the cost of your onward travel

Evidence can include:

  • your travel ticket
  • proof you have enough money to purchase a ticket to leave New Zealand, in addition to your funds for maintenance
  • a ‘Sponsorship for Temporary Entry’  form completed by an acceptable sponsor.

Sponsorship for Temporary Entry (INZ 1025) PDF 283KB
Acceptable sponsors

Medical and travel insurance

You must have full medical and travel insurance for the length of your stay

  • You must declare in your visa application that you agree to arrange and hold insurance.
  • Your insurance policy must cover you from the date that you arrive in New Zealand until the day you leave.
  • Your insurance policy must cover all of the following:
    • travel (this includes travel to and from New Zealand, within New Zealand, and outside New Zealand if travelling as part of the course)
    • medical care in New Zealand, including diagnosis, prescription, surgery, and hospitalisation
    • the transportation out of New Zealand as a result of serious illness or injury, including cover of travel costs incurred by family members assisting the student
    • death (including cover of the travel costs of family members to and from New Zealand, costs of repatriation, and funeral expenses).

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) students don’t need to hold insurance.

You can arrange insurance through your education provider. If you are arranging your own insurance, your education provider can give you more information about what your policy must cover.

Parent or legal guardian

If you are aged 9 or younger you must be accompanied by your parent or legal guardian unless you will live in an NZQA approved school hostel

If you must be accompanied, you must provide proof that your parent or legal guardian cares for you in your home country and has the legal right to provide care for you.

Evidence your parent or legal guardian cares for you in your home country can include:

  • your parent or guardian’s passport, or residence document showing that you’ve been living with them in your home country
  • documents that show they’ve paid for your education
  • educational records or documents that show they’re responsible for your education

Evidence your parent or legal guardian has the legal right to provide care for you can include:

  • your birth certificate or adoption papers (if they are your parent)
  • court documents (if they are a court-appointed guardian)
  • relevant legal documents if they are a testamentary guardian (i.e. they were named as guardian in your parents’ will, and your parents are deceased).

Your parent or legal guardian must apply separately for the type of visa they need.

If you have to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, you must live with that person while you’re studying.

Permission to work

If you're aged 16 or 17, or in years 12 or 13 of secondary school, you must have written permission to work

You must have permission to work up to 20 hours a week and/or full-time in the summer holidays from each of the following:

If you’re 18 or over, you don’t need permission to work over the summer holidays. We won’t grant work rights to children under 16 who have a Student Visa.

Full-time vacation work rights

You must provide information about your holidays and your course

If you’re allowed to work full-time in the holidays, proof:

  • of the holidays scheduled by your approved education provider, as shown in your offer of place document
  • that your course value is 120 credits – this information may be on your fee receipt or invoice, or other correspondence provided by your approved education provider.

Practical experience (optional)

If you’re required to do practical work experience as part of your course, you must provide evidence that it’s a course requirement

Evidence can include either of the following:

  • a letter from your approved education provider 
  • a course outline that shows the practical work experience requirement.

Any practical work experience you need to do complete your course can be worked in addition to the other hours your visa conditions allow you to work. 

Already have a Student Visa

You must be able to show that you’re passing your course and meeting your attendance requirements

If you already have a Student Visa and you’re applying for another Student Visa, you must provide photocopied evidence of your previous student performance, progress and attendance. This can include:

  • academic transcripts
  • a letter from your approved education provider
  • attendance records.


Student visa

Not the right visa for you?

Explore your other study visa options, see all study visas or explore another visa type.