Meeting the criteria

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements.

Show all evidence Hide all evidence


You must provide proof of your identity

  • 1 acceptable photo if you apply online, or 2 photos if you use a paper application form.
  • your passport or certificate of identity.

Acceptable photos

If you submit a paper application, provide your original passport or a certified copy.  We can usually process your application faster if you provide your original passport.

If you apply online, you must upload a copy of your passport when you apply. We will let you know if you need to send your passport after you've applied.

Sending your passport for online applications

Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after you plan to leave New Zealand.


You must be in good health

You may need to have a chest x-ray, a medical examination or both as proof of your good health.

Who needs an x-ray or medical examination

People applying for a Parent and Grandparent Visitor Visa must complete a chest X-ray and medical examination, unless you have previously provided medical certificates to us, and those certificates were issued in the last 36 months.


You must be of good character

You may need to provide police certificates as proof of your good character.

If you are aged 17 or older and plan to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months (including any time you have already spent in New Zealand), you must provide police certificates from:

  • any country you are a citizen of
  • any country you have spent more than 5 years in since you turned 17.

You do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you have provided them to us with an earlier visa application, and
  • they were issued in the previous 24 months.

Good character

How to get a police certificate

If you've previously spent 6 months or longer in NZ, but haven’t provided a police certificate from your home country before, you must provide one with this application.

Genuine intentions

You must genuinely intend to meet the conditions of your visa

When we decide if your intentions are genuine (bona fide), we consider all the information:

  • you provide to support your application
  • we have about your personal circumstances, and
  • you provided in any previous applications.

Genuine intentions to visit, study or work in NZ

Evidence that you are a genuine visitor

You must intend to visit your children or grandchildren in New Zealand.

Your children or grandchildren must intend to be in New Zealand when you visit.


You must be sponsored by your child or grandchild, or their parent

To be eligible to sponsor you (and your partner), your sponsor must:

  • be a New Zealand citizen or resident 
  • be your child or grandchild, or their parent
  • be 18 or over 
  • meet our requirements for acceptable sponsors
  • not be sponsoring anyone else.

Your sponsor must complete a ‘Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry', as evidence of their sponsorship.

Acceptable sponsors
Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry (INZ 1025) PDF 283KB

Your sponsor’s immigration status

Your sponsor must be a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must provide an original or certified copy of your sponsor’s:

  • New Zealand passport, birth certificate or certificate of citizenship, or
  • New Zealand Resident Visa, or
  • Australian passport.

Your relationship to the sponsor

Your sponsor must be your child, grandchild, or the parent of your child or grandchild

You must provide evidence of your family relationship to your sponsor.

If your sponsor is the parent of your child or grandchild, but not your child, you must provide evidence of the sponsor’s relationship to your child or grandchild.

Evidence can include:

  • birth certificates 
  • adoption papers
  • any other documents that confirm your relationship to the sponsor, or the sponsor’s relationship to your child or grandchild.

You can provide household registration documents if these confirm your relationship to your sponsor.

Health care

You must agree to pay your own health care costs

You must declare in your visa application that you’ll pay the costs of any health care or medical assistance you receive in New Zealand.

We recommend that you have full medical insurance for the length of your visit.

If you’re unable to pay for your healthcare, your sponsor will be responsible for the costs.

Bring partner

Your partner must meet the requirements for this visa

To bring your partner, you must provide evidence:

  • of your relationship with your partner, like a marriage certificate
  • that your partner meets the identity, character and health requirements for this visa.


You can’t include dependent children in your visa application – they’ll need to apply for their own visas.


Visitor visa

Not the right visa for you?

Explore your other visit visa options, see all visit visas or explore another visa type.