Meeting the criteria

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements.

Show all evidence Hide all evidence


You must provide proof of your children’s identity


Acceptable photos

If you apply online, you must upload a copy of your child’s passport. After you’ve applied, we’ll tell you if you must send us your child’s passport as well.

If you use a paper application form, you may send us your child’s passport, or a certified copy. If you provide a certified copy, we may ask for your child’s passport before we complete the application.

Please also provide a copy of:

  • your child’s Hukou (household registration book)
  • your child’s identity cards.


Your children must be in good health

The children may need to have a chest x-ray and/or a medical examination as proof of good health.

Who needs an x-ray or medical examination

Children under 11 don’t need to have an x-ray unless a special report is needed.

You must provide a chest x-ray completed in the last 3 months, even if you have provided one to us previously, if:

  • your children have spent 6 consecutive months in China since the last x-ray certificate was issued, and
  • your children are now coming to NZ for more than 6 months.


Your children must be of good character

You may need to provide Police Certificates as proof of the children’s good character.

Good character
Police certificates

You don’t need to provide Police Certificates for children under 17.

Genuine intentions

You must genuinely intend for your children to meet the conditions of their visas

When we assess if your children’s applications are bona fide, we consider all of the information that:

  • you provide to support their application
  • we have about you and your children’s personal circumstances and previous applications.

Genuine intentions to visit, study or work in NZ

Dependent children

Your children must be single and depend on you for financial support

For us to consider your children to be dependent, they must be either:

  • 17 or under
  • 18-19 with no children of their own.

We may ask for evidence that children 18 – 19 are financially dependent on you, for example:

  • documents showing they’re enrolled at school or university
  • receipts for their daily expenses, like phone, clothes, food
  • bank accounts showing you pay then an allowance
  • receipts for big purchases, like travel.

Dependent children

We may ask for evidence that children 18 – 19 are dependent on you.

Funds or sponsorship

Your children must have enough money to live on while they’re in New Zealand or have an acceptable sponsor

Per person per month: NZ $1,000 or NZ $400 if they’ve already paid for their accommodation. If so, they’ll need to provide proof of pre-payment, like hotel receipts.

Evidence of funds or sponsorship can include:

  • bank statements
  • credit card statements
  • bank drafts
  • travellers’ cheques
  • a 'Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry' completed by an acceptable sponsor.

If you are sponsored, your sponsor must provide evidence they can look after you in New Zealand. Evidence can include:

  • recent bank statements
  • pay slips
  • employment agreement
  • accommodation ownership or payment of rent.

What sponsors must do – responsibilities and obligations

Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry (INZ 1025) PDF 304KB

Your immigration status

You must be a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must provide an original or certified copy of your:

  • New Zealand passport, birth certificate or certificate of citizenship, or
  • New Zealand Resident Visa.

Your relationship with your children

You must be the parent of your dependent children

You must provide evidence that you are the parent of your dependent children, which may include:

Dependent children

If your children are travelling alone or with one parent, we may ask for evidence they have the right to leave their country of residence, eg custody or guardianship papers.


Child visa

Not the right visa for you?

Explore your other visit visa options, see all visit visas or explore another visa type.