Meeting the criteria

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements.

Show all evidence Hide all evidence


You must provide proof of your identity

You must provide proof of your identity:

Acceptable photos

You may provide your original passport, or a certified copy when you submit your application. If you provide a certified copy we may request your original passport to complete your application.

Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after you plan to leave New Zealand.

If you are a citizen of China and you submit a paper application form in China, you must also complete a supplementary form.

Supplementary form for Chinese citizens (INZ 1027) PDF 306KB

Also provide your:

  • Hukou (household registration book)
  • Chinese identity card.


You must be in good health

You must have a chest x-ray and a medical examination as proof of your good health.

Getting an x-ray or medical examination

You must provide a chest x-ray completed in the last 3 months, even if you've provided one to us previously, if:

  • you have spent 6 consecutive months in China since the last x-ray certificate was issued, and
  • you are now coming to NZ for more than 6 months.


You must be of good character

You may need to provide police certificates as proof of your good character.

If you are aged 17 or older and plan to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months (including any time you have already spent in New Zealand), you must provide police certificates from:

  • any country you are a citizen of
  • any country you have spent more than 5 years in since you turned 17.

You do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you have provided them to us with an earlier visa application, and
  • they were issued in the previous 24 months.

Good character

How to get a police certificate

If you provide a police certificate that is not in English, you must provide an English translation.

This includes police certificates that record no convictions.


You must be a citizen of the People’s Republic of China

You must provide a valid People’s Republic of China passport.

Also provide your:

  • Hukou (household registration book)
  • Chinese identity card.

New Zealand job offer

You must have an offer of full-time work

You must provide:

  • a copy of a job offer of full-time work from your New Zealand employer
  • your employer’s name and contact details
  • a copy of your job description
  • a copy of your employment agreement.

Employment agreements and rights

Your New Zealand job offer must be for one of the following special work occupations:

  • Chinese chef
  • Traditional Chinese medicine practitioner (including nurses)
  • Mandarin teacher’s aide
  • Wushu Martial Arts Coach
  • Chinese tour guide.


Not the right visa for you?

Explore your other work visa options, see all work visas or explore another visa type.