Meeting the criteria

The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements.

Show all evidence Hide all evidence


You must be of good character

You may need to provide police certificates as proof of your good character.

If you are aged 17 or older and plan to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months (including any time you have already spent in New Zealand), you must provide police certificates from:

  • any country you are a citizen of
  • any country you have spent more than 5 years in since you turned 17.

You do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you have provided them to us with an earlier visa application, and
  • they were issued in the previous 24 months.

Good character

How to get a police certificate

If you provide a police certificate that is not in English, you must provide an English translation.

This includes police certificates that record no convictions.


You must be in good health

After you submit your application we will check any medical information you have previously submitted and contact you if we need new medical information.

New Zealand job offer

You must have an offer of full-time work from an accredited employer

Your job offer must be:

  • current at the time you apply for your visa
  • for at least 30 hours of work a week
  • from an employer who is accredited to hire migrants for the Accredited Employer Work Visa and has an approved job check for your role.

The accreditation process

In your visa application you must include:

  • a copy of the employment agreement and job description
  • a signed copy of the job offer.

The employment agreement must include:

  • your employer’s name, address and phone number
  • your name and address
  • your job title
  • the address for your place of work
  • the kind of work you will be doing and your responsibilities at work
  • details of any necessary qualifications or work experience
  • information about whether you need New Zealand registration to do the work
  • what hours you will work and how long the work will be for
  • how long you have to take up the job offer
  • pay and work conditions that comply with New Zealand employment law.

Your employment agreement must be with an accredited employer who has a history of compliance with immigration and employment law.

List of non-compliant employers | Employment New Zealand

Your employer must pay you at least the New Zealand median wage unless your job is on an exemption list.

Roles exempt from the AEWV median wage threshold

Your job offer cannot be for:

  • work planting, maintaining, harvesting or packing crops in the horticulture or viticulture industries
  • foreign crew of fishing vessels, or
  • self-employed work.

Availability of New Zealanders

There must be no New Zealanders available to do the work you have been offered

Your employer will normally need to advertise the role, and show us evidence they have advertised and not found suitable New Zealanders as part of their job check, before we will let them offer the job to someone outside New Zealand.

They only do not need to advertise if your role is on the Green List and you meet the qualifications and experience listed for your role.

Green List roles

Qualifications and experience

You must be qualified to do the work you have been offered

You need to show that you meet the skills, qualifications, work experience and other requirements of the job you have been offered. Evidence of qualifications can include:

  • original or certified copies of your qualifications
  • evidence the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) recognises your qualification.

Evidence of experience can include documents that show:

  • the work that you did
  • the dates you did the work
  • how many hours a week you worked (on average)
  • the contact details for your employer or employers
  • how your work experience relates to the work you’ve been offered in New Zealand. 

You can check the specific qualifications and experience you need by searching for your occupation using the INZ view of ANZSCO.

INZ view of ANZSCO | Statistics New Zealand

Occupational registration

You may need New Zealand registration

If registration is required to work in your occupation in New Zealand, you must provide either:

  • a certified copy of your full or provisional New Zealand registration
  • confirmation from the appropriate registration body that you’re eligible for New Zealand registration.

Occupational registration

Stand down period

You must not currently need to spend time outside of New Zealand as part of a stand down period

If you have been working in New Zealand in a role that pays below the median wage on an Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV) you may be affected by a stand down period. A stand down period means you may need to leave New Zealand before you can get another AEWV visa for work paid below the median wage.

Some sectors such as tourism, hospitality, the care workforce and construction have agreements that allow them to pay less than the median wage for some roles and have specified stand down periods. The stand down period for your role depends on the sector you are employed in.

Your employer can tell you if you are subject to a stand down period, or you can check which roles are exempt from paying the median wage on our website.

AEWV roles exempt from paying the median wage

If you are affected by a stand down period, you may still be eligible for other visas or for an AEWV if your job pays above the median wage. However, any further time spent in New Zealand will not count towards the stand down period.


Not the right visa for you?

Explore your other work visa options, see all work visas or explore another visa type.