Information about Student and Trainee Work Visa

This visa is for students and trainees who want to get practical work experience in their field. This can include, but is not limited to religious trainees, dental or medical trainees and apprentice jockeys.


  • Medical and dental trainees can stay for up to 6 months
  • Students undertaking practical training can stay for up to 6 months
  • Religious trainees can stay for up to 36 months at first
  • Apprentice jockeys can stay for up to 4 years

Jockeys must be aged 16 or over

All conditions

With this visa you can

  • Do practical work experience to complete a study or training requirement.
  • Complete a formal religious training programme or apprenticeship as a jockey.
  • Do practical dental or medical training.

Things to note

  • If you'll be studying for more than 3 months at a tertiary education institute, you should apply for a student visa instead.
  • You can't include a partner or dependent children in your visa application, but they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.

Explore family visa options

Check that you meet the detailed criteria.

Use the filters to display detailed criteria and evidence


Work visa