Up to 4 years
With this visa you can
- Study full-time at the course stated on your visa – this includes schools, tertiary (study after secondary school) and English language study.
- Work part-time up to 20 hours a week while studying or full-time in the holidays, depending on your visa conditions.
- Live by yourself above a certain age, otherwise you’ll need to come with your parent or legal guardian.
Things to note
- You can apply for this visa if you’re a distance learning or correspondence student and you need to visit your New Zealand education provider for any reason to do with your education, eg to do practical study or sit exams.
- If you want to bring your partner or children with you, they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.
- Your Student Visa is normally for the same length of time as the study you’ve paid for.
The application process
1 Gather your documents
Prepare and gather all your documentation you need for this visa.
2 Submit your application
You can apply online or use the paper form.
If you already have a Student Visa and you’re in New Zealand, and your approved education provider is certified with Students Online, they can prepare and submit the Student Visa application for you.
Submit your supporting documents online or use our Office and fees finder to find out how much you’ll need to pay, and where to send your application.
3 Wait for a decision
We’ll process your application as soon as we can.
Most online applications are processed within 20 days, and most paper applications within 25 days, but it can take longer in some situations.
If there’s anything else you need to do, we’ll be in touch.
Please check that you meet the detailed criteria before you apply for a visa or travel to New Zealand