Dependent Child Tertiary Student Visa

Dependent children of people eligible for the 2021 Resident Visa can access tertiary education as domestic students while their family’s 2021 Resident Visa is processed and work up to 20 hours a week.


You can apply for this visa if you are a tertiary student who:

  • lives in New Zealand
  • is aged 25 years or under on 1 January 2022, and
  • is the dependent child of a person who is likely to be eligible for a 2021 Resident Visa.


Along with meeting the eligibility requirements you need to show that you are totally, or substantially, dependent on your parents for financial support.

You may need to have a chest x-ray, a medical examination or both as proof of your good health. You may need to provide police certificates as proof of your good character.

You do not need evidence you have insurance to apply, but you can get insurance if you are not eligible for publicly-funded healthcare.

Guide to eligibility for publicly funded health services | Ministry of Health


Your Dependent Child Tertiary Student visa will be granted with an expiry date that is the same as the expiry date of your parent’s visa or 31 December 2023, whichever is sooner.

If you are granted another visa, including the 2021 Resident Visa, your Dependent Child Tertiary Student visa will expire on the same date your new visa begins.

You will be able to work for up to 20 hours a week while you hold a Dependent Child Tertiary Student visa. You will need to provide evidence that:

  • you are enrolled in a full-time study programme or
  • you are 18 years or older and have been included as a dependent in an application for a 2021 Resident Visa.

You may be able to provisionally enroll in your course before your visa is granted but you cannot attend your course until you have the visa.

How to apply

You can apply online now.

Apply online