Share via Email
Share via Twitter
Share via Facebook
Share via LinkedIn

Your commitment to New Zealand — permanent residence

When you apply for permanent residence, you must show us you are committed to living in New Zealand permanently. Find out what evidence to provide.

Showing your commitment

There are 5 ways you can show us your commitment to living in New Zealand permanently. We need to see evidence of at least one of them.

1. You have spent enough time in New Zealand

You need to have spent at least 184 days in New Zealand on a resident visa in each of the 2 years immediately before you apply for permanent residence.


This 2 year period is the time immediately before you apply for permanent residence, not the 2 years since your resident visa was issued.  

The 184 days does not need to be in a row — you can leave and return to New Zealand as many times as your visa conditions allow.


We will already have this evidence in our records of your travel.

2. You have New Zealand tax residence status

You are a tax resident in New Zealand if for 2 years before you apply for permanent residence you:


Either a:


If you have tax residence in another country, even if it is one that New Zealand has a double tax agreement with, you cannot use your tax residence status there to show your commitment to New Zealand.

Confirmation of Tax Resident Status (INZ 1006) PDF 237KB

Inland Revenue

3. You have invested in New Zealand

You have had NZ$1,000,000 invested in New Zealand in an acceptable investment for 2 years or more.


Acceptable evidence of the value and ownership of funds and any assets can include:

Detailed information about evidence of acceptable investments:

Acceptable investments: investor visas

4. You have a business in New Zealand

You have either bought or started a business in New Zealand a year or more ago.

The business must be trading successfully and of benefit to New Zealand in some way.

If you bought into an existing business in New Zealand you must have at least a 25% share in the business.


We need to see both:

5. You have established a base in New Zealand

You have established your base in New Zealand by having:

You must also have either:


Evidence of home ownership can be:

Evidence of employment can be:


If you work for commission or a retainer, you cannot use your employment to show you have an established base in New Zealand. 

Evidence of self-employment can be: