Knowledge base articles

Can I apply for post-study work visa without my graduation certificate?

Immigration New Zealand will not usually accept a post-study work visa application if the graduation certificate is not submitted with the application.

If you are still waiting to receive your graduation certificate, we can consider other evidence supplied with your application. This can include:

  • An academic transcript showing your final results and that the qualification was successfully completed; or
  • A letter from the academic registrar or other authorised person at your school confirming that the qualification was successfully completed.

Even if you supply one of the above documents, an Immigration Officer may still contact you to request your graduation certificate.

If you are unable to provide your graduation certificate or any other evidence of successfully completing your qualification and your student visa is close to its expiry date, you may need to apply for a visitor visa to remain lawfully in New Zealand. If successful, this will allow you to wait in New Zealand to obtain the certificate.

In this case, you will need to meet the usual visitor visa requirements. You can include a cover letter with the visitor visa application to explain your reasons for applying.

If you are granted a visitor visa to wait for your graduation certificate, your post-study work visa application must be submitted within three calendar months (or 6 months if you have completed a Doctoral degree) of the expiry date of the student visa you were holding when you completed that qualification.

Visitor visa

Post-study work visa