Knowledge base articles

Health care in New Zealand

If you meet the eligibility criteria, you and your children may be eligible for publicly funded healthcare.

Immigration New Zealand does not administer these policies, so it is best to assess yourself on the eligibility webpage of the Ministry of Health website.

Ministry of Health

Publicly funded healthcare includes, but is not limited to:

  • Hospital treatment (with some exceptions, such as cosmetic surgery) and 24 hour accident and emergency clinics
  • Prescription medicine for children under 6
  • Breast screening for women aged 50 to 64
  • Check-ups and basic dental treatment for schoolchildren
  • Prescription medicines for all hospital patients

You may contact the District Health Board (DHB) in your area for more information about access to healthcare.

District Health Boards


ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation) provides comprehensive, no-fault cover for all New Zealanders and visitors to New Zealand.

This scheme covers injuries occurring in New Zealand no matter where you are or what you’re doing – as long as it is sustained as an accident, a condition that comes on gradually because of work, as a result of medical treatment or from sexual assault or abuse.

As Immigration New Zealand does not administer or assess injury claims, the ACC website provides more comprehensive information and requirements for eligibility. 

ACC website