Knowledge base articles

Who has the power to take statutory declarations?

Who has the power to take statutory declarations depends on the country in which the declaration is made.

A statutory declaration can be undertaken by a Lawyer, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, or a court official and, in some countries, certain Police Officers. 

A Notary Public is a public servant appointed by state government to witness the signing of important documents and administer oaths.

They are usually listed in your local phone directory.

Declarations made in New Zealand

Only certain people in New Zealand can witness a statutory declaration. These include a Justice of the Peace (JP), a solicitor or Notary Public, or a registrar or Deputy Registrar of the District Court or the High Court, or certain Police Officers.

Listings of people who can witness a statutory declaration can be found at the following websites:

Royal Federation of the NZ Justices’ Association

New Zealand Society of Notaries

New Zealand Law Society - find a lawyer or organisation

Police Officers authorised to take statutory declarations

For more information on statutory declarations, please see the link below:

Making a statutory declaration