Knowledge base articles

My employer has closed the business. What happens to my work visa?

If your visa was granted specifically for this job and you are no longer employed there, you are breaching your work visa conditions. This may result in you being liable for deportation.

You must immediately change your status by making a new application. If you have a new job to go to, you should apply for a new work visa or a variation of conditions. Your other options are a visitor visa or a student visa, if you meet policy requirements for either of those applications.

If you are not eligible for any further visas in New Zealand, you should arrange your departure to avoid becoming unlawful.

Explore work visa options

Varying the conditions of a work visa

Explore study visa options

Explore visitor visa options