Knowledge base articles

Can Australian citizens apply for a student loan?

Student Loans are administered by Studylink, which is part of the Ministry of Social Development. Your eligibility for a student loan should be verified by Studylink directly.


As an Australian citizen you are waived from having to obtain a resident visa to travel to New Zealand, and you are usually granted a resident visa on arrival to New Zealand (provided you are of good character).

If you are asked to provide evidence of your status in New Zealand, you can make a request to have this confirmed in writing by requesting your personal information that Immigration New Zealand holds.

Request your personal information held by Immigration New Zealand