Knowledge base articles

My employee from overseas has left the job before the contract expired

If the overseas employee had a work visa which only allowed them to work for your company, and they no longer work for you, they may become liable to be deported.

You should therefore inform Immigration New Zealand of the termination of contract immediately, so that appropriate action can be taken if the person is still trying to use that visa in New Zealand.

This should be done in writing, on an official company letterhead, stating the full name, date of birth and last known address of the employee, and the date and circumstances of the termination of contract.

This can be attached to an e-mail and sent to or posted to your nearest immigration office.

Immigration New Zealand offices

You can refer below for further information about how to inform us about this.

How to inform Immigration New Zealand

If you wish to explore what action you may be able to take regarding the breach of contract obligations, please contact Employment Relations for information.

Employment Relations contact