Knowledge base articles

Can I look after a child in New Zealand who has a student visa?

If you are the parent or legal guardian of a student enrolling in school years 1 to 13, or who is aged 17 years or younger, you may be issued a Guardian of a Student visitor visa so you can live with and care for the student. 

You would be lodging a visitor visa application with evidence that you meet the guardianship policy requirements. 

You can find information about applying for the Guardian of a Student visitor visa, including the requirements, on our website.

Guardian of a Student visitor visa

If a guardian wants to work or study part time, then you may apply for a variation of conditions to study/work between the hours of 9:30am and 2:30pm Monday to Friday (inclusive).

Variation of conditions

A person in New Zealand holding a Guardian of a Student visitor visa cannot apply for an Essential Skills work visa, Specific Purpose or Event work visa or a student visa.

If you need to travel offshore for an emergency situation the student can apply for a variation of conditions to their student visa to temporarily exempt them from the requirement to live with their guardian in New Zealand.

Variation of conditions