Recognised Seasonal Employer

You should consider becoming a Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE) if you are a horticulture or viticulture employer who cannot find New Zealand workers to plant, maintain, harvest and pack crops. If RSE status is granted, you can apply for an agreement to recruit workers from offshore to pack, maintain, harvest and pick crops.


  • When you’re first granted Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE) status, it’s valid for 2 years. If you apply again, it’ll be valid for 3 years.
  • Agreements to recruit are valid for one season.

With this option you can

  • Recruit overseas workers to plant, maintain, harvest or pack crops – you’ll need to apply for an Agreement to Recruit first.

A list of our Recognised Seasonal Employers

Things to note

  • We usually grant Agreements to Recruit (ATR) to recruit workers from eligible Pacific nations. ATRs may be granted for other counties only if it’s not feasible to recruit from these nations.
  • While your workers are working on your worksite, you’ll be responsible for their day-to-day work and supervision.
  • It’s OK to use recruitment agencies to recruit overseas workers as long as the agency doesn’t charge the workers for finding them a job.

What's involved

  1. Apply for Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE) status
  2. We grant your RSE status
  3. Apply for an Agreement to Recruit
  4. Your workers apply for visas with your job offer and arrive in new Zealand