Check a candidate's visa status

You may have found the perfect candidate for your vacancy but all migrants need one of several visas that allow them to work in New Zealand. With VisaView, you can satisfy yourself that your prospective employee is able to settle here and work for you.

Before a migrant can begin working for you, you must check that the conditions of their visa allow them to work.

You can check whether a migrant can work for you using VisaView. VisaView allows registered employers to verify that prospective and current employees hold a valid visa, the conditions of the visa, and the date of expiry. Enquires are saved in the employer's VisaView account and these records can be used as evidence of compliance with the Immigration Act 2009.

To access VisaView, you need a RealMe account. If you have created a RealMe account for another purpose, you can use that for VisaView.

The conditions of the migrant’s visa will also be noted on the visa label in their passport, or in a letter from Immigration New Zealand. You should ask to see those documents, as well as photo identification, and keep a copy of them for your records.

Log in to VisaView with RealMe
VisaView guide for employers PDF 631KB

VisaView also allows registered employers to confirm New Zealand passport information provided by a New Zealand citizen candidate. You will need to complete and return the Disclosure Agreement to the Department of Internal Affairs.

VisaView Employer Disclosure Agreement PDF 122KB

Form-based checks

If you don’t use VisaView, the following documents can be accepted as evidence of entitlement to work in New Zealand. We recommend that you ask to see original documents and that you make copies for your records.

  • Foreign passport with a valid New Zealand work visa, or
  • Foreign passport with any valid New Zealand visa allowing work, or
  • Foreign passport with a New Zealand residence class visa, or
  • Australian passport, or
  • Foreign passport with an Australian permanent resident visa and/or a current resident return visa.