- This is not current policy -
The policy in this manual ceases to be effective from 29 November 2010.
To see the current Immigration New Zealand Operational Manual go to
D5.5 Roles and rights of responsible adult
Immigration Act 1987 ss 141B, 141C
- The role of a responsible adult relates to those matters or proceedings for which the nomination was made.
- The role of responsible adult finishes when the leaves New Zealand.
- The responsible adult may appear and be heard in any Court proceedings under the Immigration Act 1987 relating to detention of the minor.
- To the extent practicable given the level of maturity and understanding of the minor, the responsible adult must try to find out the views of the minor and make them known on behalf of the minor, if appropriate.
- Any document that must be served on or notified to the minor must instead be served on or notified to the responsible adult, and such service or notification is presumed to be service on or notification to the minor.