- This is not current policy -
The policy in this manual ceases to be effective from 29 November 2010.
To see the current Immigration New Zealand Operational Manual go to
U11.1 New Zealand Agency for International...
U11.1 New Zealand Agency for International Development (NZAID) supported students undertaking employment
- NZAID supported students may be granted a Variation of Conditions to their student permit to allow them to work during the academic year, and during any holidays within the academic year for up to 20 hours in any given week, if NZAID and the relevant education provider both support the application in writing and the work is:
- a compulsory requirement to fulfil practical experience for their course of study; or
- related to their postgraduate course of study.
- NZAID supported students may be granted a Variation of Conditions to their student permit to allow them to work during the Christmas-New Year holiday period if it is a course requirement and NZAID supports the application in writing.
- NZAID supported students on Aotearoa Scholarships may be granted a Variation of Conditions to their student permit to allow them to work for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year, and during any holidays within the academic year and full-time during the Christmas-New Year holiday period.
- NZAID scholars may be granted work permits at the completion of their studies for qualification related work experience for the minimum time needed to complete practical work requirements.
Note: NZAID supported senior medical and pharmacy students may be granted work permits for their internship/registration year.
- NZAID supported students are not permitted to:
- work in self-employment; or
- provide commercial sexual services; or
- act as an operator of a New Zealand business of prostitution; or
- invest in a business of prostitution (see E7.40).
- Any NZAID supported student, or their or dependent children may only be issued with a visa or permit for New Zealand in the 2 year period following completion of the NZAID student’s scholarship, with written approval from NZAID (with the exception of a work visa or permit to complete course requirements or a short-term visitor visa or permit).
Note: See WF5.5 for work policy for partners of holders of student permits who are NZAID supported.