- This is not current policy -
The policy in this manual ceases to be effective from 29 November 2010.
To see the current Immigration New Zealand Operational Manual go to
The purpose of New Zealand's student policy is to contribute to New Zealand's sustainable economic development by:
- facilitating the entry of genuine students, with a focus on attracting and developing students who have the skills and talent New Zealand needs;
- increasing global connectedness;
- supporting the sustainable growth of export education capability;
- earning foreign exchange; and
- strengthening New Zealand education, while managing risk to New Zealand and maintaining social cohesion.