- This is not current policy -
P3.1 Making a proposal to establish an exchange scheme (26/07/1999)
- Any person or organisation wishing to make a formal proposal to the NZIS to establish an approved exchange scheme must give details of the proposed scheme under each of the headings in the Exchange Scheme profile (see P3.5).
- The proposal should then be submitted to the manager of the nearest NZIS branch in New Zealand for consideration.
- If the proposal appears to meet the requirements in P2, the NZIS then prepares a summary of the scheme that sets out:
- the various particulars, and
- the conditions under which the scheme must operate.
- One copy of the summary is retained on the branch office file, and copies are sent to the appropriate branches and posts and to the Ministry of Education (Advisory Officer).
- If appropriate, the NZIS may consult with other relevant departments or representative organisations before completing its assessment of the proposal.
Example: The NZIS may refer an employment exchange scheme to Work and Income New Zealand to comment on the scheme's possible impact on the New Zealand labour market.
- Before the NZIS makes a final decision, the New Zealand sponsor may be asked to either:
- confirm the summary, or
- clarify any matters that are unclear.
- The NZIS advises the New Zealand sponsor of the decision, giving full reasons if it has not approved the proposal.
P3.1.1 Educational exchange schemes
- In the case of educational exchange schemes between secondary schools and government-to-government educational exchange schemes, the Minister or Ministry of Education must approve requests for incoming exchange students to be exempt from having to pay foreign student fees.
- The initial application may be lodged with the NZIS, which makes a preliminary assessment.
- If the application meets NZIS criteria, the NZIS accepts the scheme subject to the approval of the Minister or Ministry of Education.
- The NZIS office processing the scheme then refers a copy of the papers to:
Ministry of Education
Private Box 1666
Attn: Exchange Schemes
- Once the Ministry of Education has advised the NZIS of its approval, the NZIS approves the scheme and advises the organisers.