- This is not current policy -
The policy in this manual ceases to be effective from 29 November 2010.
To see the current Immigration New Zealand Operational Manual go to
A9.25 Procedures relating to correspondence from Ombudsmen
- The Deputy Secretary - Workforce in the Department of Labour is responsible for answering all correspondence from Ombudsmen about complaints made under the Ombudsmen Act 1975 and the Official Information Act 1982.
- Any other office approached about a case that is the subject of an Ombudsman's investigation must refer details to the Statutory Complaints Unit, National Office, which independently reviews the issues and prepares a report to the Ombudsmen for the Deputy Secretary - Workforce to sign.
- All correspondence to the NZIS from Ombudsmen, including Official Information Act complaints, must be channelled through the Chief Executive and the Deputy Secretary - Legal in the Department of Labour, who is responsible for:
- keeping an overview of the volume and nature of complaints, and
- if necessary, checking final draft replies.