- This is not current policy -
The policy in this manual ceases to be effective from 29 November 2010.
To see the current Immigration New Zealand Operational Manual go to
V2.30 Short-term study in schools
- Visitor’s permit holders can study without the need to obtain a student permit or a variation of conditions if they attend primary, intermediate, secondary, or composite school for a single period of study of up to three months per calendar year. The single period of study:
- must start and finish within a calendar year; and
- must not be in term 1 if a visitor’s permit was held and a single period of study was undertaken in term 4 of the previous year.
- Visitor’s permit holders undertaking a single period of study in (a) above must attend a school that is a signatory to the Ministry of Education's Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, if at least one of the following applies:
- they attend for more than two weeks; or
- they are fee-paying foreign students.