- This is not current policy -
The policy in this manual ceases to be effective from 29 November 2010.
To see the current Immigration New Zealand Operational Manual go to
F8.30 Residence visas/permits
F8.30.1 Issue of residence visas/permits
- Residence visas or permits may only be issued or granted once principal applicants have:
- met the transfer requirements set out at F8.25.10; and
- placed the funds into an acceptable investment; and
- paid any applicable migrant levy (see R5.90).
- Residence visas and permits will be issued and granted subject to the requirements imposed under section 18A of the Immigration Act 1987 in accordance with the policy set out at F8.30.10.
F8.30.5 Currency of residence visas
Residence visas will be current for 12 months from the date of issue.
F8.30.10 Residence visas or permits subject to requirements under section 18A of the Immigration Act
Immigration Act 1987 s 18A (1)
Under the Parent Retirement Category, a residence visa or permit and returning resident’s visa issued or granted to a principal or secondary applicant is subject to the following requirements imposed under section 18A of the Immigration Act 1987:
- that the principal applicant retains an acceptable investment in New Zealand for a minimum of four years under the Parent Retirement Category; and
- that the principal applicant informs the nearest branch of INZ of any changes of New Zealand address during the investment period; and
- at the two-year anniversary of the investment period, the principal applicant submits evidence that they are retaining an acceptable investment in New Zealand; and
- that within 3 months after the expiry date of the investment period, the principal applicant submits evidence to INZ that they have met requirement (a).
F8.30.15 Investment transfers during the investment period
Investment funds may be transferred from one investment to another during the investment period, provided:
- the funds remain invested in New Zealand in New Zealand currency at all times during the investment period; and
- the investment of the funds continues, during the investment period, to meet all other requirements for investments.