- This is not current policy -
The policy in this manual ceases to be effective from 29 November 2010.
To see the current Immigration New Zealand Operational Manual go to
F8.15 Settlement funds and annual income
F8.15.1 Aim and intent
Principal applicants under the Parent Retirement Category must demonstrate that they have the ability to support themselves and their partner, and/or dependent children (see R2.1) included in the residence application during the four year investment period in New Zealand.
F8.15.5 Requirement for settlement funds and annual income
In addition to their nominated investment funds, principal applicants must demonstrate:
- ownership of a minimum of NZ$0.5 million, and
- an annual income of at least NZ$60,000 at the time of application.
F8.15.10 Ownership of settlement funds
- Funds may be owned either:
- solely by the principal applicant; or
- jointly by the principal applicant and their partner and/or dependent children (see R2.1) who are included in the residence application.
- The principal applicant may claim the full value of jointly owned funds or assets for assessment purposes provided a business immigration specialist is satisfied the principal applicant and partner have been living together for 12 months or more in a genuine and stable partnership (see R2.1.15, R126.96.36.199 (b) and R188.8.131.52 (a) (i)).
- If funds or assets are held jointly by the principal applicant and a person other than their partner or dependent child, the principal applicant may only claim the value of that portion of the funds or assets for which they provide evidence of ownership.
F8.15.15 Evidence of settlement funds
Evidence of settlement funds may include, but is not limited to:
- funds held in a New Zealand bank account(s)
- funds held in an offshore bank account(s), together with evidence that the funds can be accessed from New Zealand
- acceptable evidence of net assets (either in New Zealand or offshore).
F8.15.20 Annual income
Annual income may be:
- earned solely by the principal applicant; or
- a combined income of the principal applicant and partner (see R2.1.10) who is included in the residence application.
F8.15.25 Evidence of annual income
Evidence of annual income may include, but is not limited to:
- earnings from rental properties
- dividends from share portfolios
- interest from investments
- profits from company ownership
- share market trading.