- This is not current policy -
SM14.10 Points for recognised qualifications (25/05/2009)
Qualifications are recognised and qualify for points as follows:
- Qualifications assessed as occupying levels nine and ten on the Register qualify for 55 points.
- Qualifications assessed as occupying levels five, six, seven, or eight on the Register qualify for 50 points.
- Qualifications assessed as occupying level four on the Register qualify for 50 points by inclusion in the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment (see Appendix 5) if they meet the requirements specified in that list.
- Qualifications assessed as occupying level four on the Register qualify for 50 points if they are assessed by the NZQA and are:
- relevant to an occupation listed at part B or part C of the List of Skilled Occupations (see Appendix 11), and
- not included on the list of Excluded Qualifications (see SM14.10.5).
- Qualifications assessed as occupying level three on the Register that are included on the List of Qualifications Recognised as an Exception (see SM14.10.10), and meet the requirements specified in that list, qualify for 50 points.
- Points are provided for:
- one qualification only; or
- two or more qualifications assessed in combination.
Note: Points for recognised qualifications are not cumulative. A principal applicant may qualify for either 55 points or 50 points.
Note: A qualification will not be recognised if gained while in a country where the principal applicant was either an unlawful resident or required authority to study, but did not have such authority.
SM14.10.1 New Zealand qualifications
Despite SM14.10, SM14.10.5, and SM14.10.10, New Zealand qualifications at level three or four of the Register are recognised and qualify for 50 points if:
- the qualification would have been recognised for the award of points under Skilled Migrant Category policy that was in effect on 3 February 2008; and
- the principal applicant gained the qualification before 4 February 2008; or
- the principal applicant was enrolled in a course of study, resulting in the qualification for which they are claiming points, on 3 February 2008.
SM14.10.5 Excluded qualifications
The qualifications listed below are excluded from recognition under the Skilled Migrant Category and do not qualify for points. This list may be amended by the deletion or addition of qualifications from time to time, as approved by the Minister of Immigration.
- Level four qualifications that are not a New Zealand National Certificate (or compared to a New Zealand National Certificate by the NZQA).
Note: Visa and Immigration officers must ensure that the qualification is a National Certificate or comparable to a National Certificate and may refer to the following for confirmation:
- the www.kiwiquals.govt.nz website,
- written confirmation provided by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) to the Tertiary Education Provider confirming the qualification is a National Certificate,
- a NZQA International Qualification Assessment (IQA), or
- a NZQA Qualifications Assessment Report (QAR).
SM14.10.10 Qualifications recognised as an exception
The qualifications included in the list held at Appendix 13 are recognised for the award of points as an exception under the Skilled Migrant Category.
Qualifications in this list, awarded by an institution included in this list, do not require assessment by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority.