- This is not current policy -
The policy in this manual ceases to be effective from 29 November 2010.
To see the current Immigration New Zealand Operational Manual go to
WK2 Applications under Essential Skills work policy
- Applications under Essential Skills work policy will not be approved unless they include an offer of employment in New Zealand which:
- meets the requirements set out in W2.10.10; and
- is for full time employment (W2.2.10); and
- specifies payment for the work is by wages or salary.
- To apply for an approval in principle or to support a work permit and/or visa application under Essential Skills work policy, an employer must be the proposed direct employer. A direct employer is usually responsible for such things as:
- payment of salaries
- PAYE tax instalments
- conditions of employment
- day-to-day supervision of the workplace and the employee.