- This is not current policy -
BK7.5 Basic rules for business experience (26/11/2007)
- Business experience is experience in planning, organisation, control, senior change-management, direction-setting and mentoring acquired through ownership of, or management level experience in, a lawful business enterprise that has at least five full-time employees and an annual turn-over of NZ$1 million.
- A is considered to own a business if they own at least 25 percent of a business.
- A lawful business enterprise is an organisation that:
- operates lawfully in a commercial environment with the goal of returning a profit; and
- is not set up primarily for passive or speculative purposes.
BK7.5.1 Length of business experience
- Principal applicants must have a minimum of four years of business experience.
- The length of business experience is determined on the basis of full-time business experience of at least 30 hours per week. Credit for part-time business experience may be given on a proportional basis.
Example: Business experience gained over eight years for 15 hours per week would equal four years' business experience based on a 30-hour week.
- Credit is given for 30 hour weeks only, even where a principal applicant has worked more than 30 hours in any week.
Note: The four years of business experience does not have to be consecutive.
BK7.5.5 Evidence of the principal applicant's business experience
- Documents submitted as evidence of the principal applicant's business experience must show the position(s) and the responsibilities held.
- Evidence of the principal applicant's business experience can include, but is not limited to, original or certified copies of the following documents as are necessary to allow a business immigration specialist to make a decision:
- business registration
- company financial accounts
- company tax returns and tax records
- shareholder certificates or proof of ownership of business
- job specifications
- job assessments
- personal tax returns
- letters of appointment
- certificates of service
- strategic planning documents
- references from employers on company letterhead, stating the occupation and dates of employment, and giving the contact phone number and address of the employer.
- A business immigration specialist may require additional documents, evidence and information as they consider necessary to determine an application.
- Evidence of part-time business experience includes that listed in paragraph (b) above, but must show actual weekly hours worked.
Note: Documents provided as evidence of business experience must, in combination, demonstrate experience of all the elements contained within the requirements for recognition of the business experience (see BK7.5).
BK7.5.10 Evidence of New Zealand business experience
Evidence of New Zealand business experience must include:
- evidence of business experience as listed in BK7.5.5; and
- evidence that the New Zealand business experience was lawfully gained.