U6.1 Courses of study lasting longer than 3 months
- People who require a visa to visit New Zealand and who wish to come to New Zealand to study full-time for a period longer than three months, must hold a student visa.
- Potential students who are nationals of countries to whom a visitor visa waiver applies (see E2.1) may enter New Zealand as visitors and apply for a student visa after their arrival.
U6.1.1 Definition of 'full-time study'
- For private training establishments full-time study is generally considered to be enrolment in:
- a course of study that requires attendance for a minimum of 20 hours per week; or
- at least three papers, or equivalent, per semester if the offered course is at Level 7 or above on the New Zealand Qualification Framework.
- For other tertiary institutions enrolment in at least three papers, or equivalent, per semester is indicative of full-time study.
- Any course of study that does not meet (a) or (b) above is usually considered to be part-time (see U7.20).
- The final decision on whether or not a student may be considered to be undertaking full-time study rests with immigration officers.