principal applicant (temporary entry)
From instructions: E4.1 Who may be included in an application (Generic temporary entry)
E4.1.5 Definition of 'principal applicant'
- For visitor visa and transit visa applications the principal applicant is the person who is declared to be the principal applicant on that application.
- For a work, student, diplmatic or military visa application, the principal applicant is the person applying for the work, student or military visa.
- For a limited visa the principal applicant is identified as follows:
- the principal applicant is the person who is declared to be the principal applicant on that application; or
- for applications for a limited visa to be granted for the purpose of study, the principal applicant is the person whose express purpose is study; or
- if the express purpose of one or more persons in an application is to accompany another person also in the application, the principal applicant must be that other person; or
- if two or more persons in an application share the same express purpose and that express purpose does not depend on the express purpose of any other person also in the application, the principal applicant may be any one of those two or more persons.
Example: a husband and wife, both doctors, wish to attend a medical conference in New Zealand. Their dependent child is to accompany them. Either the husband or the wife may be the principal applicant.
When an application is assessed, all persons included in the application will be assessed against relevant instructions.